Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
The post graduation work permit sanctions international graduates of Canadian universities to work in Canada for a maximum of three years after completing university. It also aids them in settling as permanent citizens in Canada.
Canada encourages international graduates to continue residing there with a long-term career goal. The post-graduation work permit is designed to support this goal, letting international Canadian graduates acquire hands-on work experience.
In February 2019, the Canadian government made the process of applying for a post-graduation work permit simpler. Two of the principal modifications are:
- It is not required to possess a valid study permit to apply for a post-graduation work permit.
- The time limit has been extended to a maximum of 6 months, compared to the previous deadline of 3 months.
These changes have reduced pressure on students, their families and employers alike. They also make Canada the attractive destination it is for higher studies to a large extent.
Now comes the requirements to apply for a post-graduation work permit(PGWP):
- You must hold valid temporary standing, or departed from Canada.
- You must have graduated from an eligible ‘Designated Learning Institution (DLI)’.
- You should have obtained a degree/diploma/certificate from an academic/vocational/professional training programme (lasting at least 8 months) at a verified institution in Canada.
- You must have been recognized as a full-time student during all academic terms in your completed program(s) of study. Special cases, such as ‘leave from studies or final academic session’ may grant you release from this rule.
- You must own a transcript and an official document from the accredited DLI institution, which affirm the proper completion of your degree. The aforementioned documents must be included in the application for a post-graduation work permit.
Work Permit Duration
How long the post-graduation work permit is valid for depends on the length of the study program.
|Duration of study program||Duration of work permit|
|Less than 8 months||Ineligible|
|Between 8 and 24 months||Valid for up to the same length as the study program|
|24 months or longer||Up to 3 years|
|More than 1 program||Maybe valid for up to 3 years if more than 1 eligible study program is completed|
Pathway to Immigration
The PGWP Program is an important component of the Canadian government’s bid to attract talented international student graduates to bolster the country’s labour force. When international students in possession of these work permits gain employment experience in Canada, they also gain the ability to amass points that they can apply to their application to become Canadian immigrants. These points are considered in their application for permanent residency under the Canadian Experience Class, which is part of the Express Entry selection programme administered by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
A recent survey conducted by the Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE) revealed that 70% of Canada’s international students want to work in the country following their studies and that six in ten wanted to immigrate to Canada in the future.
Study MBA in Canada
Foreign graduates who have completed a Full-Time MBA program are qualified for a 3-year Canadian work permit, an edge other international and one-year MBA programs cannot offer. If you bring your family to Canada as well, your partner can also be employed in the time that you attend university.
You are entitled to a Canadian work permit, even without employer sponsorship or a job proposal, when you are done with your MBA. This is a huge benefit that international universities other than Canadian ones do not offer. Graduates of the one-year MBA program get permission to work for only a year in Canada, whereas a Full-Time MBA guarantees a three-year work permit
Do you wish to Study Abroad?
Enter your details below and we will get back to you at your convenient time. Get in touch with us to find out how our dedicated consultants and advisors can assist you with your higher studies in Canada.